Our physical, as well as mental wellbeing, has a lot to do with what we eat. Imagine our body as a machine. Not just any machine, a very sophisticated one. The body acts differently when we intake different types of food. The Eatwell plate helps people figure out the correct proportions of different types of food.
The food we eat acts as the fuel for our body. Every food we take enters our stomach and goes through chemical reactions. This reaction produces the energy we need to operate. Different kinds of food create different reactions in our body. Some foods support us to regulate soundly. On the contrary, some foods may cause discomforts.
A fact about food intake is that it’s all about the right proportions. Even a disproportionate amount of healthy and unhealthy food can cause our body to act unusually. So it’s a tightrope and there are several facets to it. Mainly a healthy diet depends on several aspects of your food intake. These are :
- The type of food you are eating
- The amount of energy your body can create from it
- The way you look to spend the produced energy
- The way your body reacts to it
To most people, it’s not something everyone may find easy to keep track of. Most people are somewhat likely to keep any trace of their eating habits at all. This is where the Eatwell plate comes into play. Recently the Eatwell plate has been renamed as Eatwell guide. So sometimes the Eatwell plate may also be referred to as the Eatwell guide. But they refer to the same thing.
What is the Eatwell plate?
Eatwell guide is an illustration that shows some of the main food groups and their recommended proportions for a healthy diet. The purpose of the Eatwell plate is to help people get a quick glimpse of the insights on their daily food intake.
The Eatwell plate was first officially issued by the government of the United Kingdom. The Department advised the idea of health. The idea is not as new. A similar thing used to exist known as The Balance of Good Health. Most other countries have their versions of a similar item.
Recently as of 2007, the government has renamed the Eatwell guide to Eatwell plate. The name was adjusted so that the name better reflects its purpose. There is no difference between the Eatwell guide and the Eatwell plate, and they refer to the same thing. So in this article, the terms Eatwell plate and Eatwell guide have been used interchangeably.
Why is the Eatwell plate necessary?
The Eatwell plate serves an essential purpose. It provides people with a reliable scientific evidence-based guideline to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Here we have pointed out the core points for you:
- The Eatwell Guide introduces us to the various food groups
- Please familiarise yourself with how much of what should we eat
- Find out what proportion of what food makes a healthy, balanced diet
- Understand the recommended amount and type of fluids are included
- Get an understanding of maintaining an optimum body weight
- Reaching weight loss goals
In general, the Eatwell plate has been devised to help people make better choices for themselves.
Using the Eatwell guide
People may find it hard to figure out how to interpret the information dropped in the Eatwell guide. So here are the details to help you fully grasp the elements represented in the Eatwell plate:
- The Eatwell plate doest represent a particular meal. Instead, it refers to a specific time scale particular week or over ten days. This way, everyone gets his cheat days. But try not to get into cheating that often.
- The Eatwell plate classifies each food group and shows you a percentage of how much you should eat of each food group.
- The guide also recommends the right options to choose from to design your meal plan in a healthy way.
The leading group of foods that have been recommended in the guide are:
- Whole grain and other starchy sources of carbohydrates
- To make people eat a sufficient amount of green fruits and vegetables
- Ensure a perfect balance in the intake of animal protein such as meat, fish, eggs and so on
- Consume the ideal amount of proteins from vegetable sources such as beans, seeds and other forms of vegan protein
- Eat a controlled amount of foods that contain fats
- Regulate the amount of consumption of sugary drinks, unhealthy fats and salts
- Consume ample dairy portions
To better understand the principle food ingredients, we will now discuss the principal food groups and discuss various food sections included in the Eatwell guide for your better understanding.
Seven food groups
Food is any substance consumed by all living organisms to provide energy to their body. The energy is used to carry out various physical and physiological activities. The whole living world has to give this energy daily. So the importance of food to the living is beyond recognition.
Nutrients are the main ingredients in the food that is used by living beings to produce energy. Dietary intake of the nutrient is vital for living to survive, grow, and reproduce.
Nutrients are broadly classified into two categories.
- Macronutrients and
Macronutrients are the nutrients that provide our body with regulatory energy. So we need them in larger quantities to fulfil our energy needs. These are fat, protein and carbohydrates.
Micronutrients are what we need in smaller quantities such as vitamins and minerals.
Nutrition is the branch of science that interprets the nutrients. So the study of food is instrumental for proper maintenance, growth, reproduction, health and disease of an organism.
Studying all the different foods we eat, it has been divided into seven groups. Each group consists of similar food elements. To clarify, this has been done to make people aware of nutrition science is quickly consuming as little time as possible.
Among various types of food groups, we need to incorporate into our diets the following seven, particularly.
Food groups found on Eatwell plates
Among all the foods, the Eatwell guide has divided all of them into five main categories. These components are discussed below.
Eatwell plate percentages. Eatwell guide percentages
Eating various food each day that touches each food group will help you keep up with your nutrient needs. The average consumption of different types of foods in the Eatwell guide should be between the following percentage. These are:
- potatoes, bread, rice, pasta and other starchy carbohydrate foods should range to 38% of total food consumption
- fruit and vegetables should be the highest with 40% dairy and alternatives foods account for 8% of total consumption
- beans, pulses, fish, eggs, meat and other protein should be around 12%
- oils and spreads are to be consumed less often in small amount this 1%
Keeping total consumption around this percentage will help you maintain a healthy diet and balance your weight.
Eatwell plate portion sizes
Portion sizes of Eatwell plate are detailed as follows:
- Fruit and vegetables should include at least portions per day. A total of 2-3 cups of vegetables and 1.5-2 cups of fruit will do for a day(Each cup measures 80g).
- Starchy carbohydrates are to be eaten at the rate of 3-4 portions per day. Try to limit each serving to 75 grams when dry.
- Beans, pulses, fish, eggs, meat and other proteins may include 2-3 portions per day.
- You are allowed to eat around 2-3 portions of dairy and its alternatives per day. But this depends on the rest of your diet. An ounce of cheese and a glass of low-fat milk is enough for a day. You can also alternate your intake of dairy depending on your net food intake.
Daily calorie requirements
Calories are the measure of energy we get from the food and drinks we eat. The average calorie intake for women is 2000 calorie, and for men, it is 2500 calorie. The measure of calorie intake may also vary depending on the following factors:
How to read food labels
Food labels help consumers with information regarding the product they are buying. It is the fundamental right of consumers to get info while purchasing a product. Nutrition labels help consumers get an idea of what they are buying while shopping. The labels also help consumers make decisions on what to buy and what not to.
To some people, it can be challenging to figure out how to read the nutrition label. But it is easy once you figure out how to. Here is how you can read a nutrition label:
8 Tips for eating healthy to lose weight
A healthy diet consists of all the variety of food ingredients. The key to healthy eating depends on balancing the right elements in the perfect proportions. Here are some healthy eating strategies that will regulate your metabolic activities in the right way:
There is a saying that goes by this ‘we are everything we eat’. The variety of food we introduce to our diet the more diverse we can think and work. Healthy eating can have a deep-rooted influence in every aspect of our life. Nothing regulates our body and mind more than the food we eat. So healthy eating is what we need to ensure a sound body and a sound mind.
- Communication Skills for Children: Importance, Activities & Games
- The Importance of Listening Skills in Communication
- A Definitive Guide To Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills
- Different Types Of Communication: Everything You Need To Know
- 20+ Effective Communication Skills (Good for a Resume)
- Air Pollution: How It Affects Student Health and Academic Performance
- How to Tell Someone to Improve Their Communication Skills?
- How to Become a Paralegal? A Beginners’ Guide
- How to Become a Nail Technician? A Beginners’ Guide
- What is Bookkeeping? A Guide to Starting a Career as a Bookkeeper